Forest School Nature Hike
As Jack grows up, it becomes more and more important to spend time exploring the outdoors. We spent Easter Sunday hiking at a local riparian forest. Goals included:
- free exploration
- immersion in nature
- multi-sensory exploration (listening to birds, touching plants and sticks, smelling the fresh air, observing our surrounding, etc.)
- natural movement and exercise
- nature therapy
- nature education
We simply explored.
We heard many woodpeckers chiseling away in the treetops.
We used a plant identification app on my phone to identify local flora.
Below is a video of our Easter hike:
If you've been thinking of spending more time in nature, here are some wonderful benefits (from Wikipedia- Forest School (learning style):
- increased confidence and independence
- increased self-esteem
- abstract learning of mathematics and communication
- reduced stress
- improved concentration
- learning to overcome adversity
- increased problem-solving skills
- enhances teamwork and group solidarity
- develops leadership skills
- new understanding of natural environments