image from www.famous-wonder.com
Lucky for us, we live in California so hands-on experiences abound!
The goal for this unit is:
- to hear California-related stories like Nine for California and Humphrey the Lost Whale ( I STILL remember when the author, Richard Hall, visited our dinky little school in French Camp).
- to learn a little bit about the Gold Rush, the landscape, the agriculture, and the earthquake-prone geography.
- to learn the state facts-- bird, flag, flower, etc.
- to understand the spirit of our home state
- driving on Highway 1
- crossing the Golden Gate Bridge
- taking some California history-related field trips
- do a bunch of activities that SCREAM "California" like dance to Beach Boy music and see a celebrity (pfff!)